Monday, August 01, 2016

Hospitality on Two Quarters


We all come and go through seasons where expenses pile up and the budget needs to cinch tighter. This has been our season as we've had what seems like several large bills including a rotting tree taken out and replacing our air conditioner.

Tightening the budget belt has made me all the more grateful for the blessings and provisions God has freely given us in abundance over and over each day.

It has also caused me to get creative in the food budget realm of things. Of course we still have to eat and still have to spend money on food - but how can I be wise with what we have and make good financial choices even if it means saving twenty five or fifty cents an item on things at the store.

Recently, I had a call from a friend wondering if we could get together for lunch. I was so happy to invite them over and then sort of sheepishly said that I'd planned to make biscuits and scrambled eggs for lunch - was that ok?

Eggs had been on sale for fifty cents a dozen at Dollar Tree and I made a batch of homemade biscuits which was the epitome of a thrifty menu plan. I pulled the strawberries out of the fridge as a last minute idea and served hot tea.

Our sweet friends embraced the breakfast for lunch idea and brought sausage to round out our meal. I spent a few minutes before they arrived prettying up the table and making it special and welcoming.

You see, flour and milk mixed together for biscuits and a mere two quarters for a dozen eggs isn't a big investment but that doesn't mean I can't make it special. It ended up feeling like a feast when shared in such beauty and with special friends.

This made my heart so happy, I never want to have to turn down hospitality out of a fear of what to serve or not having what I think I should have to make it nice enough. And I also want to be humble enough to share what we have again even if it isn't a picture perfect menu.

Not only am I grateful for the food served at our table, I'm grateful for friends who want to spend time with us and who not only go along with our plan but join the chorus of voices appreciating the lovely, yummy and nourishing meal.


Lesson learned: I can use what I have to serve my guests with grace, beauty and love and it will transform our meal into a happy memory and time well spent together.

12 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Beautiful and looks delish!!! Hospitality truly comes from the heart.

alice said...

I know that your life isn't perfect (even though I don't really KNOW you, but because none of us are perfect), but I love your blog. I love seeing every day what pretty you have made or created. It inspires me to notice the beauty around me.

Thank you.

Unknown said...

Yes ,it is beautiful! I love that story! Jesus can use what we have to serve others.

Carol Blanchet said...

What an encouraging post! Thank you for the gentle reminder to be thankful in all things, and to show the love of Christ even in the simplest forms of hospitality.

I'm new to your blog, but am really enjoying it. :-)

Happy Monday.

Carol
puretsimple.blogspot.com

Tina Leigh said...

If I was going to anyone's home for lunch, I'd be thrilled with that meal! But truthfully, I would never be settled enough to serve it. I'd never be clever enough to think how pleasing it would be, I'd be way to stressed thinking it's not enough,...I would OVER THINK IT! Does that make sense? My husband and I cook for family & extended family frequently, friends occasionally. We are always scared to death there will not be enough food. We have the "Martha" attitude more than the "Mary" attitude that you have. Come to think of it, I wonder how many times we have made our guests feel overstuffed? I wonder how many have come & ate more not wanting to hurt our feelings. You have really got me thinking.

I love this post!

Wendi said...

I love this! We are in a season of tightening the purse string also. I am thankful for a surgery that healed my heart, but boy did it stretch the budget! Hospitality is my weak point as I always feel that what I have to offer isn't enough. Thanks for once again showing me that it isn't about what you offer, but the heart of the offer.

*carrie* said...

Great job, Mo. A truly inspiring meal on an inspiring budget!

Unknown said...

My Grandmother always made meals from very simple, inexpensive ingredients. But, we never thought much of it. We just enjoyed eating her homemade jam and biscuits and her presence. She's a great story teller and never self centered.

Reminds me of Proverbs 15:17 (NLT) A bowl of vegetables with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate.

Andrea L.

pippasmum said...

I am always so impressed at your ability to create beauty, whatever you are doing. I know that coming to a meal like this would actually be more comfortable for me as a guest because it creates a kind of intimacy - a "you are part of the family" feeling. I came from a home in which my mom very rarely had people over (I am not sure why) but as an adult and a young-married, I really struggled with always over doing it. I am learning that the top priorities of entertaining are meals that allow me to be present with my guests rather than chained to the kitchen and meals that aren't too fancy and allow us to relax. Your friend was very lucky, I think and thank you for the good reminder of what truly matters!

Elise said...

Lilly said, "She should have a pineapple in her home." I was like, "Huh?". She replied, "For hospitality." I have to say that I agree, you are one of the most hospitable people I know! I'm sure your friend enjoyed the gift of your time.

Shelby said...

You have the ability to create beauty with whatever you have and that's what I love and adore about you friend. You can think outside the box and inspire others. I glad that you went for it and made it work with what you had. thanks for sharing. Shelby~

Lauren K. said...

I just LOVE this!I'd love your biscuit recipe!