Friday, November 27, 2015

Annual Performance Review for Mamas



Remember those days of working full time and having an annual performance review? I am one of those who likes feedback - I need to know where I'm at with people and just find it helpful if delivered the right way.

Feedback can often be lacking for a full time mama. And if we are getting some it might be discouraging. For example, I see a bathroom not picked up again, feedback I receive: they are not getting it and/or I'm failing at teaching them to clean up. I hear arguing amongst siblings; feedback I receive: that noise clutter is rising my stress level, how will I manage it this time? Can you please get me a drink? feedback I receive: silence instead of thank you.




There is hope mama friends, we are not finished yet and neither are our children. For a little encouragement and reminder of good feedback for your weary heart - I have a suggestion.

Recently I  was working on finishing the editing of one of my blog books. I like to have my blog printed out by year into a thick keepsake book. {I have always used Blurb to print out my blog books.} Anyway, working through those posts and getting them arranged in the program to be printed just made me smile over and over.

It was a joy and blessing to look at all the fun memories we've made together. It showed me things I've done right as a mom and it was a good reminder of all the moments I've been present for and involved in.



May I encourage you in this? If you are feeling discouraged or just don't feel like you're getting anywhere right now - look back and be reminded of all the things you have done right. Because there have been oh-so-many. I confess that I focus on all the things I think I'm doing wrong or feel like I've failed at, looking through this book of our history was a good reminder to me of things I've done right.

There's your review right there - none of us are perfect, we have all made mistakes. But, hear this: there is a whole lot you are doing right. Let that lighten your step and brighten your face today!

6 comments:

Mom said...

I'm so thankful that you were encouraged by looking back over your blog entries (another benefit of this lovely blog)! I also loved the flashback photos of the littles when they were really little!! :) You and Carrie (and so many other moms) are doing a great job in this wonderful, hard job called "Mom."

*carrie* said...

Thanks for these encouraging words, Mo.

Have you seen any discounts for Blurb recently? I haven't made a book for years but I've thought of it from time-to-time.

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

This is so very encouraging...

Having a hardback book - would also be wonderful!! I'll have to keep this in mind.

Kelli said...

So encouraging on a much needed night. I keep thinking that I need to print out my blog...

Tina Leigh said...

That is beautiful Monica & what a keepsake for your children...I hope you got 3 b/c I can see this being something very special to them when they are grown. Maybe a wedding gift as they start their family.

Sometimes I would hate to hear my eval from my grandson I'm raising..but yes I'd like an "at-a-boy" to...just every blue moon maybe. Sometimes I think I can do this child rearing thing better the second time around and then NOT!!

But you always encourage me!

Monica Wilkinson said...

@Tina Leigh - I only ordered one because they are SO expensive {over $100 each!} but I do hope it will be a legacy and blessing to them one day! Mothering is so hard! Remember every investment of time, love and care you make is a blessing :)