Thursday, November 05, 2015

Advent Inspiration


Recently, a friend emailed me and asked if I would put together a post of Advent celebration ideas. I love this kind of thing so I'm excited to list some things our family has enjoyed - feel free to add your own in the comments and I'll probably learn about something new too!

* Jacquie Lawson Advent Calendar: We received this as a gift two years ago and had so much fun with it that it was a definite repeat for last year and we already can't wait for this coming year! It is a fun interactive calendar that you download on your computer and open little activities daily.

* What God Wants for Christmas: I bought this used several years ago {for Samuel's first Christmas!} and we have continued to enjoy it year after year. It is perfect for Christmas Eve and presenting the Gospel in an interactive way to any children who are with you! It is also a fun nativity set that kids can play with and set up throughout the season including our Christmas Worship times.

* The Advent Book: I bought this used several years ago also! It is a beautiful book with numbered doors you can open each day of Advent. One thing I love about this is that it is the Biblical story of Jesus' birth and if you keep reading the open doors in order each day adding one per day, your kids will likely memorize the beauty of Scripture just from hearing it every evening like mine have!

* Jesse Tree: You can read more about our Jesse Tree here. Unfortunately, this pattern for ornaments is no longer available but there are some great ideas for free printables and/or hosting a Jesse Tree ornament exchange on Pinterest. We incorporate this usually into our morning school time during December. It's a great way to be reminded of the promise of Jesus through Scripture and looking at how those things were fulfilled in His coming.


* The Very First Noel: This is a fun animated video for kids that accurately and sweetly tells the Luke 2 story of Jesus' birth. Vivid colors, gentle characters and sweet moments like baby Jesus grabbing on to a wise man's finger and rhyming story make this really fun. It is best for younger children but we still love it!

* Nativity Cookie Cutter Set: I got these on an after Christmas sale one year and we've had fun making nativity scenes out of sugar cookies and decorating everything. It has also been fun to give a set of cookies and some frosting to friends for them to have fun too!

* Nativity Stamp Set: I bought a cute set of nativity stamps on Etsy a few years ago and we have enjoyed getting creative with those. I could not find the set on Etsy that we have anymore. A fun idea to do with stamps or even drawing is this free printable Advent book that has no pictures and you can draw them in yourself!

* Night Before Advent Poem and party idea: we had fun reading this poem at our evening of Christmas Worship last year. Includes a free printable!




* Prepare Him Room cd and book: this is something I heard a lot about last year and have purchased to do with my kids this coming December. I've already enjoyed the CD and am looking forward to the Advent devotionals that we can do together weekly.

* Happy Birthday Jesus: our friends invited us over several years ago and we made this fun cake and acted out the nativity story. I have sporadically carried on this tradition when we could make it work. Would be an awesome neighborhood outreach!

* She Reads Truth Advent: Last year I enjoyed following along online with the SRT Advent study. I just ordered my first companion book/journal for this Advent season to feed my soul during this special and meaningful time of year. It's free to do the study online, the companion journal is completely optional. I also love the SRT Advent playlist!

* Creative Christmas Worship: this started in 2009 {look how teeny Samuel is!} after reading a post on Ann Voskamp's blog - the link I had is no longer active so sorry I can't link to it here! We have varied this over the years but you can read more on each year by clicking these links: 2010, 2011, 2012 part 1 and part 2, 2013 and 2014.



* Ann Voskamp's advent videos: Hope, Peace, Joy, Love.

* Thomas Kincaid devotional

* Homespun Advent Wreath

* Cradle to the Cross Wreath



Now I want to hear your favorites - go!!

1 comment:

Leanne said...

THANK YOU, FRIEND! I IMMEDIATELY ORDERED THE SHE READS TRUTH STUDY!! I also am planning on doing the Jesse Tree... and we have used the Advent Book since you posted about it YEARS ago :-)
I loved this post!! thank you so much!!!