Friday, January 17, 2014

Birthday Gift: Sewing Kit


I'm taking on a mission this year to come up with frugal handmade gifts that are still lovely and thoughtful!

Just as we came home from Christmas, we had two girls parties back to back one weekend! One asked for donations to a local children's shelter {great idea!} and we did a birthday party kit with cake mix, party plates, etc... from the Dollar Tree.

For the second one, I decided to put together a little sewing kit. I was partially inspired by a sewing kit my mom made for Emily for Christmas and partially inspired by Pinterest, plus this is what I had on hand!

First, I waded through my fabrics and chose something for each color of the rainbow - cut edges with pinking shears and folded similar sizes tied with a ribbon. I topped the stack with a simple five minutes pin cushion inspired by this.




I also included a little box of ribbon and trims plus an embroidery hoop {thrifted, I think} and a little package of cute buttons {Dollar Spot clearance fifty cents}




And, then I wanted to sew a little bag for her to put everything in. I just sort of made it up as I went along and it turned out a bit longer and skinnier than I'd envisioned - but she is a ballerina also - so maybe it will be a good ballet shoe bag when she is done with the fabric and trims!