Thursday, October 03, 2013

Autumn Beauty


Last week ended on a lovely note as we woke to mornings in the low 60's - I can't remember how many months it has been since we've felt this cool of air here in the deep South. And, I am so thankful for this respite and Fall feelings it brings.

Scouting around the house/yard for cozy beauty and adding a few Sunflowers from Wal-Mart has been quite enjoyable over the weekend.




Sometimes I feel guilty for beauty. Being surrounded by so much heartache, pain, suffering, struggle, effects of living in a fallen sinful world can make beauty seem frivolous and like a guilty pleasure. Yes, there are struggles in my heart and life. No, not everything is sunshiny and rosy. I think I do choose to look for beauty though as a blessing in those struggles and to refocus my heart. Looking for and creating beauty cultivates a thankful heart in me and allows me to feel gratitude.

In some small way, I would like to think that by being true to who God made me to be - a beauty lover, beauty seeker, beauty maker, it is bringing Him glory. I would like to think that it is blessing a weary soul and sometimes it is my very own.

It reminds me of one of my very favorite verses, Philippians 4:8 -

think on things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy


 
When I am tossed to and fro by cares of this world, I look to God - the truest beauty there is, He is the source of beauty and creativity. It all comes from Him and points back to Him. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Creating, seeking and enjoying beauty is what makes my heart sing and makes me feel most alive and yes. Thank You, God for creating with such beauty and for tuning my eye to watch for, seek out and enjoy beauty in life. It is a precious gift to my soul and life and I am so grateful.

Thank You for the Fall, a season of all things home and cozy - it is a lovely season that feels like a long wonderful hug. I love this time of year and am so grateful for the opportunity to enjoy each moment, each day that You have seen fit to share with me.

May my enjoyment of it all point back to You and glorify You!