Tuesday, November 01, 2011

God's Word in my home.

This was originally posted May 17, 2007 - but I'm bumping it up now to enter it into the Doorposts contest focused on how we bring Scripture into our homes.

As I mentioned in a post earlier this week, I've had this passage on my mind a lot lately:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:5-9

An idea began in my heart - to actually put God's word on our doorframe. So, here is what I came up with...

I first had to decide what verse or verses to use, I chose:

"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26

I typed up the verse using a large font size and printed it out. Then, I cut out the letters with an x-acto knife to make a stencil.

Next, I cut apart the phrases and taped them up on the wall with double-stick tape.

Then, I traced the letters onto the wall with a pencil. I added in the bits that were cut out such as the inside of an 'e' or 'd' - this was considerably easier than trying to save those little pieces to trace around.

The next step was to remove the paper and start painting! I used black craft paint - the kind you can get for 50 cents or so at a craft store on sale. After the paint was all the way dry - touched up by erasing any remaining pencil marks. All done!

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Love this!!! So very creative, you are!

The Holy Spirit does marvelous work through you!!!

~katie~ said...

I love that Doorposts contest!! I've been putting Scripture around my home for years and was so excited to read of their encouragement to do so! I have a few posts from the archives I may enter. Even if I don't enter, I just love seeing all the creativity of others ~ what a blessing! Yours is no exception ~ beautiful! I just love walking into someone's home and being greeted by God's Word. So refreshing and welcoming. Hope you win a fun prize!!

Jenny Lynn said...

I actually have been wanting to do this in my home. I want mine to say "With God Any Thing Is Possible". I want it in my dinning room. I have toyed with the idea of painting it, rather than buying vinyl letters. I really love how yours looks.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reposting this! I've been wanting to find Scriptures to put up in my home, but was having difficult deciding which ones to use. This is absolutely perfect!!

Felicia said...

I've always wanted to figure out how people made the scripture stencils. Thanks for sharing!