Friday, October 16, 2009

Processing

Thank you, all, so much for your thoughts, prayers and kind words this week. It has been a very long and draining week and we are thankful for God's grace to see us through.

With the busy-ness that comes in getting through something like this and all the details that need to be tended to, it is safe to say that we are still processing that this has even happened. And, so much of our days have felt surreal.

I'm sure that we will still be processing everything for quite some time.

Our girls have done amazingly well - though, they are struggling too (especially Emily). We have talked a lot about heaven and how wonderful it is. And, have stretched our creativity to think of some things that would be a help to them.

One day, Emily really wanted to color a picture for her Pepaw. We told her we would take it with us to the funeral home and put it in his jacket pocket. Both girls ended up doing this and took the pictures themselves and put them in. It was a very sweet moment.

We had three roses ordered for Emily to place on the coffin before it was buried. One from each of his grandchildren. And, I asked David's mom for some of his old shirts to make a little blanket out of. We talked about how when they missed Pepaw, they could snuggle with it. I haven't done this yet - but hope to in the near future.

Lots of family came - this is always the bittersweet part of things like this. And, it was nice to see so many of them. And, we have felt surrounded by friends who care and offered their help in watching our littles, bringing food, running errands, etc...

Again, thank you for thinking of us this week. Yesterday, I took the girls out for a fun day after all we've had going on, so will look forward to sharing our visit to the Pumpkin Farm soon! Have a great weekend ~

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you guys are very religous, so not sure if this is for you or not, but I have always told my small children that when someone close to us dies that they are the brightest star in the sky, looking out at us from Heaven. All of them run outside on starry nights to see who can find the bright star. Seems to comfort them on their own level. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea to make a comfort blanket out of one of "Pepaw"'s old shirts! I'm sure the girls will cherish it for a long while to come!

Still praying,
~eunice b

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

Someone made a quilt for me out of my mom's old clothes. I LOVE it! It's a wonderful idea. I've also heard of making teddy bears for kids from the shirts. Continuing to think of you.

Anonymous said...

Sending you and your family warm hugs and some strength to help see you through this difficult time. Making a quilt of 'Pepaw's old shirts is a wonderful idea and one that will comfort you all in the years to come.

Blessings,
Laurie Anne

Wendi said...

Making the blanket is such a sweet idea.

Disney Chef said...

I'm sorry for your loss... You and your family are in my prayers.

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Continue to do just that... it will certainly take some time. I still am processing my own Dad passing at just 43 yrs of age (close to 13 yrs ago) and the fact that he never met (here on this earth) my husband or let alone his grandchildren. Memories are good to share and talk about even if they bring on tears. Tears are what helps bring real healing.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.
With Love,
~B

jennibek said...

Hello...
I follow your blog but have never written. Just wanted to tell you your sweet family is being prayed for. Blessings to you all.
Jenny Robinson Goldsby

Leanne said...

praying for you...

Debra said...

When my mom passed away three years ago unexpectedly, I made sure to set aside a few of her shirts (ones that I'd recognize). I hadn't had children at the time, but my plans were to make quilts/blankets out of them so that my little ones would have a piece of Grandma. Now that my daughter is 2, this has reminded me of that task.

I think it's a wonderful thing for children to have something as a tangible reminder.

Grieving is so difficult, even as Christians.....know that those you don't even know are praying for your family and sending HUGS your way.

Gina said...

My father-in-law passed suddenly this week as well - so I know exactly what you are going through. I love some the creative ideas you thought up to help your children. Thanks for sharing.
Gina from Home Joys

Ginger said...

Monica, this brought tears to my eyes even after you had told me of wanting to make the blanket. Perhaps you could make one for each child; I know Samuel is so small, but it will mean so much to them as they grow up. When the little ones look at his pictures, the blanket will be so meaningful. Still keeping you in my prayers and thoughts.

Clorissa said...

Still praying for you and your family. Thank you so much for giving us an update.
May your hearts be comforted by all of the love and prayers that surround you.

Love,
Clorissa

Carol said...

Thinking of you and your family at this time. I will keep you in my prayers.

Just Me said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss; it is very difficult. I love the shirt idea and I think I'm going to steal it. My beloved Grandfather when home to the Lord on Tuesday evening; we are heading to CA on the 29th for the Memorial Service on the 30th. We told our 3 1/2 year old on Wed morning about Gramps going up to heaven to be with Jesus - we didn't think she was really listening, but the next day when we said we were going to CA she said "but we won't see Gramps, he's in Heaven with Jesus and Grandpa John" - obviously little children hear more than we think!

My mom made 5 quilts out of all my dad's old shirts when he passed away - but it never occurred to me to do it with my Grandfather's shirts, especially for the great-grandchildren. Thanks so much for reminding me.

I hope your family continues to find strength from our Heavenly Father as you continue to process and deal with your loss.

Cheryl said...

Monica,
continued prayers and hugs to you and your family.
Our children were quite young when they lost their great grandparents. It sounds like you and your hubby are getting them through it just fine.
Love the idea of the picture in Paw Paw's pocket and the quilt to yet be made. It will be very special to snuggle with.