Friday, September 04, 2009

Ice Cream Dessert

Mmmm ~ in the hot hot days of late summer, this is a special treat not to forget about! Growing up, we had this with peppermint ice cream! I will tell you that it is even good with plain vanilla!

It has been delightfully cooler here the past couple of days - and I am ready for Fall! But, I'll squeeze this recipe in before we leave summer behind for this year (or this week as the case likely is!)

Crust:
1 - 11 oz. box vanilla wafers, crushed
1 stick butter
* Toss together crumbs and melted butter, reserve 1/2 c. crumb mixture; press remaining crumbs into greased 9x13 pan.

Chocolate Filling:

1 stick butter
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 c. powdered sugar
3 beaten egg yolks
3 beaten egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped nuts, if desired

* Melt butter and chocolate over hot water. Add egg yolks and powdered sugar. Cook slowly over hot water a few minutes. Remove from heat and blend in egg whites, vanilla and nuts. Pour over crust. Cool.

Ice Cream: Slice softened ice cream (3/4 of half gallon any flavor) and place evenly over chocolate mixture. Use a knife to smooth edges together. Sprinkle with reserved 1/2 c. crumbs.

Freeze.

Enjoy the long weekend ~ and look forward to visiting with you here again on Tuesday!

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Yum! I want a slice of that! Great picture!

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Wow!! That sounds delish...the chocolate layer is basically like a thicker fudge-like consistancy, I'm assuming.
Enjoy your holiday ~Labor Day~ weekend with your precious family. Doing anything fun and unique? Be Safe!!

Cheryl said...

Oh wow, this sounds sindfully delicious. Printing this one off.
Have a great weekend Monica.

Mrs. K said...

I like to take a package of Nutter Butter cookies, crush them up and put a layer on the bottom of a 9 x 13 (no butter) then vanilla ice cream and the rest of the crumbs. I bet that would taste wonderful with the addition of your chocolate layer.

Wendi said...

Ice cream is a favorite around here. I will add this to my to try list.

Enjoy a wonderful, long weekend!

*carrie* said...

Loove this dessert!

Wanted to tell you I saw a box of zinc Ball canning jar narrow-mouth lids at the thrift store last night--9 for $1. Are you interested?

Elise said...

That looks so yummy!!
Elise

Jennifer Porter said...

Looks and sounds yummy. Thanks for the recipe!

Katy said...

YUM! That sounds delicious!!! :) Have a great weekend Monica! :)

Cayla said...

Ooo, this looks sooo good! I'll have to try this before the cold weather starts coming!

Unknown said...

That is the most sinful looking dessert I've seen in a long time! lol I think I might just have to try it. Love your blog. :) Found you on Tip Junkie. Have a wonderful weekend!

Amy said...

That looks so delicious! I love ice cream cakes!!

Rima Family said...

Sounds delicious! I sure love your blog! You have such wonderful ideas and great spiritual insights. Thanks so much for letting me take a peek! I'll be back to read more! :0)