Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Family Night: Cinco de Mayo

Last Friday, for our Family Night, we went with a Cinco de Mayo theme even though it was only Cuatro de Mayo!

Anyway, I made tacos for dinner - a family favorite at our home! And, made some tissue paper flowers for the table.

After dinner, we went outside to break a pinata! I found this at a thrift store for just $2 and I know we could have made one, but for the effort - it was worth the $2! It had an opening where I could add candy - but I decided to put something in we could enjoy as a family instead of the traditional candy.

I put a bottle of bubbles in and had a little handheld battery-operated bubble maker close by to use. Emily LOVES this and we have used the entire bottle of bubbles already!!

After that, we came in and I made sopaipillas! They were delicious and a great finish to our fun evening together!

Sopaipillas
Makes 16

2 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 T. peanut oil (I just used vegetable)
3/4 c. water

Mix to form a soft dough. Let dough rest by making it a couple of hours ahead of time. Divide dough into four portions and form each portion ito a flattened round. Roll one portion at a time into a rectangle about 8x5x1/4 inch. Cut dough into four pieces from each portion. Slowly heat peanut oil in a saucepan to 385. When ready, add dough pieces, a few at a time and fry until pieces puff like pillows - about 1 minute. Turn and brown other side. Drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Serve with honey!

8 comments:

Mary Ann said...

How fun! $2 is a great buy for a pinata!

Anonymous said...

Looks like great fun! I'm happy to see the photos :)

Love, Mom

Wendi said...

Your sopaipillas look yummy!

Tracy said...

Is that the lost bunny I see in the pictures? Did you find it?

Anonymous said...

I love theme parties. We had a Cinco de Mayo lunch last Saturday after a college graduation. Fun. A bargain shopper, I love it!

Monica Wilkinson said...

We did not find the lost bunny, that is a replacement that is growing on her! Thankfully, she is transitioning well. But, the original Pinky seems to be gone forever. Sad.

Jenn said...

That is great. I cannot believe you got the pinata for that! No deals like that around here....LOL
Very creative and fun!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Looks like y'all had a lot of fun! The best part is that it didn't cost a lot!!