Monday, April 23, 2007

TV Turnoff Week

This week has been named TV Turnoff Week. I feel compelled to participate, just to prove that I can I guess. I know it will be extremely difficult with a 2 1/2 year old that LOVES movies to keep it off for an entire week. But, I want to know that we can do it. Yes, we may not make it. But - we're planning to give it a valiant attempt. I am just noticing excessive whining and moaning to watch movies and I don't like it.

So, I have a list of non-TV ideas to help us through those crunch times when I'm tempted to turn it on. I'll let you know how it goes!

Here is my plan for today:
7:30-8:30: wake, change clothes, feed girls, clean up kitchen, empty dishwasher
8:30-10: errands, Rachel down for nap at 10
10-10:30: Emily play alone and have snack; chores
10:30-11: Emily play outside; pull weeds
11-11:15: read stories; paint
11:15-11:30: Emily play alone; fix lunch
11:30 Lunch; Emily down for nap

The afternoon usually goes pretty well once Emily goes down. Rachel will get up from her morning nap and then go down again for an afternoon nap. Daddy will come home and we'll work on dinner. This evening, I plan to have Emily help me make cookie dough to put in the freezer.

Anyone else interested in joining us?

6 comments:

Leanne said...

Hi Monica,
I don't know if I can do it for a week...but I can try it for the day!!
I too have a 2 year old that whines for "videos" way too much...even when he already has a video on...
thanks for the Challenge!

Amy said...

You go girl! I hope you guys make it! I am with Leanne. Maybe I could try it for a day. We are all sick over here and television is mommies friend when she is sick :)

Hope it goes as planned!

mama k said...

I think I can do it, with the exception of my Thursday nigh comedies. But I do have the habit of keeping it on as background noise. So I'll take your challenge!

Paula said...

We turned ours off--PERMANENTLY-- over a year ago, and it was one of the best decisions we've ever made for our family.

I wish you much success this week. If the temptation to turn it on is too strong, unplug it and store it out of sight for the week. :-)

Paige said...

I didn't know it was TV turnoff week. However I did happen to call the cable company today to have my cable shut down to the bare minimum (abc, cbs, nbc, fox, pbs, cw). I also put a sign on the rec room door saying "no TV, go outside to play or read a book". The kids always get up and go to the rec room, pop on the TV and plop down on the couch. That lets me sleep, but it also dulls their brains I'm sure.
We won't give up all tv, Charlottes Web is on right now for whomever is needing a rest from the heat outside, but we are giving up alot nonetheless.
Paige

Chrissy said...

We have been cutting way back on the "idiot box" around here as well. I find it to be an awful robber of my and my children's time. Plus, there are a mind numbing number of channels available and hardly anything fit to watch. Even so-called children's shows are becoming filled with subtle messages that aren't right for our family. Whatever happend to I Love Lucy and Andy Griffith?!?! Thank heavens for reruns!