Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Tree Skirt



Well, this has turned into the tree skirt that wasn't...but, I still have hope that it may turn out. I told you I was working on it and this is what I tried:

I cut the fabric in 1 inch strips and tied them together and wound it all together to make a ball. I had two fabrics and did this for both. Here's where I went wrong - the plaid fabric is thick - it doesn't have enough give to crochet. Lesson learned: use soft cotton fabric and it should work much better. I was then crocheting it into a tree skirt, in a circular pattern, but with a slit so it could be laid around the tree. It was getting so tight that it was turning into a bowl! So, I ripped all that out. Above you will see what I had started after I had ripped out half of it, I decided I should take a picture to remember what I had done so far.

But, I don't want to waste all the fabric I have, so - I am trying a new method. I used two strips of plaid and one strip of green fabric to create lengths and lengths of braid. Now I am going to sew the braids together like a rag rug to form the tree skirt. I hope this will work. In theory, it is something like these ornaments.

In the mean time, I offer you Grace's cute idea - which is to drape homespun fabric around the base of the tree. Oh, the simplicity. My ideas tend to be complicated. So, what do you use for a tree skirt?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never had a tree skirt but have always wanted one. I just could never find one that I really liked.

The idea of putting fabric there instead is a great and simple idea. I may have to try that.

I have so enjoyed reading all of your wonderful ideas. Keep em coming!

Blessings
Lisa

Mary Ann said...

I usually use an old sheet or something(white). But I end up using it for church costumes or something during the year, so I always have to scrounge for something else for the tree. ;-)Anyways, this year, I got out a piece of white fabric and used that. but it was too small, so it ended up as a "tree scarf" instead! Really, once the presents are under the tree, you can't see it anyways. :-) The homespun fabrics look great!
I read somewhere that cutting a slit in a round vinyl tablecloth works well. I may have to try that with a fabric tablecloth(I think cloth would look nicer than vinyl!) if I can find a cheap one next year.

Chrissy said...

The tree skirt I have is one I inherited from my mother. It is of a cotton fabric and has snowmen on it. It has a real primitive or country look to it, which is exactly my style...

Kathryn said...

On one tree I use a piece of holiday fabric and on my main tree, I swirl an old round white tablecloth around it. I cut a slit up to the middle so that it would fit right. I have never found one that I liked well enough to buy.

Yours looks very pretty.

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I just have a little fake tree, that the manufacturer thoughtfully wrapped the base in burlap so it would look like a root ball. I guess that's better than gluing fake needles to it, but not much!
Before, I would drap fabric around it, but a couple of years ago I inherited a tree skirt from my MIL - it's green felt and has felt yellow bells on it. It's very "retro" - but matches our stockings perfectly, as my family has a tradition of making felt stockings and sewing appliques on it. (my grandmother started the tradition in the fifties, and they look quite retro, too. Good thing it's coming back in style!)

Monica Wilkinson said...

Wow! How fun to hear from all of you! I loved hearing all of your ideas and thoughts!

milehimama: Wait until you see my stocking post! You won't believe that we have the same traditional felt stockings you mention! Love the retro look!

Anonymous said...

My mom had an old quilt top, that was never finished. It has a lot of red and green in it. I drape it around the tree, to maximize the red, and it looks very pretty, and very "country".
Since I don't quilt, it will never be anything but a tree skirt in my lifetime!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

My mom had an old quilt top, that was never finished. It has a lot of red and green in it. I drape it around the tree, to maximize the red, and it looks very pretty, and very "country".
Since I don't quilt, it will never be anything but a tree skirt in my lifetime!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

That fourth picture you put up in this post reminds me of the rag balls I've seen in Primitive Country Stores. Only yours has a 'hanging loop' on it. :-)

Yours would probably be too heavy as it is now, but if you have any leftover fabric you could probably use it to make smaller rag balls and use them to hang on your tree to give it a cute country look. They would probably look great with your tree skirt once you get it all done.

Just a thought.

Deb

Monica Wilkinson said...

Deb, That fourth photo is an ornament that I made. The post is in July. You braid together the fabric and pin around a styrofoam ball! So cute - thanks for your idea!