Saturday, March 18, 2006

Growing Easter Grass


In keeping with the new life theme, I cannot bear the thought of using plastic Easter grass in Emily's basket. And, I have always wanted to grow real grass just for Easter - so here goes nothing.

I found wheat grass berries at our health food store for $1/pound. The owner told me that this is what people use to grow Easter grass.

I selected a recycled lunch meat container from my plastic cabinet and cut the rim off with a razor blade that it would fit into the basket. Then I almost filled the container with potting soil. And, sprinkled a generous amount of seeds over the top of that. I covered the seeds with a thin layer of potting soil, watered and put in a sunny window. I read somewhere after the fact, that I should have soaked the seeds for 6-12 hours first, so hopefully they will still sprout, since it is a bit too late for me to dig them out of the soil successfully!

I'll be posting the progress...here is a photo from the planting, minus the top layer of soil to cover the seeds.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

What a great idea! I am going to buy seeds THIS MORNING! My son is using a plastic bucket this year but we will do a decorative basket with real grass for the centerpiece on the coffee table.